Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Straight ride to Quito

Luckily the firestation is in the South of town, about 20 m from the Panamericana. Not exactly is in the very end of town but close enough to walk to it. So we did walk the couple of kilometers to the end of town.. We saw a petrol station that wasn't good enough. It didn't have any cars. We kept walking until we reached what I think it's the last petrol station before leaving. We waited for a while. Paula made a sign with "Quito" written on it. Then I saw a car with white license plates (taxis in Colombia have white license plates. So do regular cars in Ecuador) and it didn't have the plate written on the side doors so I quickly asked Paula to give me the sign and hold it up high above me. It was an Ecuadorian car... and they stopped!

Marco and Juana took us all the way to, well, almost to Quito.. They bought us coffee at the border. We stopped in Ibarra and I called Sofía (my friend waiting for us in Quito). We stopped again somewhere to eat (very) late lunch and finally we got to Tumbaco. Tumbaco is another town on the other side of the valley where Quito is. Marco and Juana own a ceramic shop and studio. They took us to where Sofi was waiting for us.

I met Sofi in the hostel in Panama City and she invited us to visit her in Quito. But she doesn't quite live in Quito. She lives in Sangolqui. Same situation as Tumbaco, another side of Quito's valley. We stayed with her two nights but only really explored one day a small part of the city. From the little I saw I liked it more than Bogotá. I'm not saying that I loved Quito but I liked it more than Bogotá. Or was is the park we sat and talked for hours the part I liked the most?

We went for an interview in Sofi's cousin's restaurant but the offer wasn't very appealing. Sofi was going away for the weekend and invited us to join her and her family.