Monday, November 19, 2012

just like that

Just like that three years have gone by... just like that. When I started this I honestly didn't think I was going to make it this far. I never thought  I was ever going to reach far away places (from Guatemala) like, let's say Turkey.

When I was in my last year of highschool don Arsenio, probably the best teacher I have ever had, told us that instead of asking for a car as a graduation present, we should ask for a trip somewhere. For him, the experiences lived while travelling will never be taken away from you. A car... I had already one stolen. God res his soul, don Arsenio was (is!) absolutely right. I've lived more in these three years than in all my life before. I've had good, bad and terrible experiences. Some I would like to repeat. Some I would like to prolong. Some I would like to never ever go through them again in my life. Maybe at some point I felt they were terrible (and indeed they were) but looking back now, some turned out to be funny, some taught me something.

While travelling you meet a lot of people, whether you like it or not. You can learn from them if you want o, about their culure, they lives, about anything! But the best teacher is life, it can teach you a lot. Is up to us if we are willing to take the lesson or no. Some, I will never learn. Some, I hope I will some day.

When I left Europe a year ago I was so used to the cold that I was walking through Berlin wearing havaianas... in (early) november. After practically a year in the tropics where most of the time I wore only shorts, a tshirt and havaianas, coming back to Europe in the middle of autumn was an extreme change. I feel cold. When I left Tulum a few weeks ago it was 35°C. When I got to Brussels I think it was around 10°C. Right now in Warszawa is no more than 5°C and will only get colder... bbbrrrrrrrr.

A lot has happened in my life in these past three years. Some of the things affected me profoundly. They changed me in a way that I will never go back to be the same person I was when I left. I've been up and I've been down. I always try to learn from that but I'm stubborn and sometimes I cannot see the positiveness in things or maybe I just don't want to. Will I ever learn? I hope so! These lyrics are from a song that is one of my all time favourites: "but how many corners do I have to turn? how many times do I have to learn? / happiness, something in my own place. I'm stading naked, smiling and I feel no disgrace with who I am".

The roles have changed.

I wonder where will I write next year...