Monday, September 3, 2012

roaming around Guatemala

So what happened to us was not fun at all, but we also were not going to spend the rest of the stay inside home. We had to sort Paula's passport and (now) visa things. It took about 2 weeks to get all the paper work and stuff she needed. Then, with passport with her it was time for Canadian embassy and after that it she just had to wait. 

We went to a lot of places. Only one or two I never been before or I was just passing through. One thing is for sure, I have never before traveled to so many places in so short time (as close to chronological order that I can remember): Antigua, Amatitlán, Chichicastenango, San Pedro La Laguna, Panajachel, Pacaya volcano, Xela, Almolonga, Zunil (hot springs), San Andrés Xecul, Monterrico, Puerto de San José, Cobán, Lanquín, Semuc Champey, Cahabón, El Estor, Río Dulce, Puerto Barrios, Livingston and in a few hours we're going to Flores/Santa Elena, El Remate and Tikal.

Our time here was nice. My mum loved Paula. We had visits from good friends: first Meel and then Sandra. Now both are gone. Continuing what they have to continue.

Today is the beginning of the end. Today is Paula's last day in Guatemala City. For sure I've learnt a lot in these in these almost half a year that we've been together. Half a year of seeing each other, of doing (almost) everything together, of her being the last face I see before going to sleep and the first one after waking up. For sure, it was not all pink color, we had trouble, but we also had shitloads of fun. We've been to so many places. To so many it was both our first time.

Now that Paula is leaving, I won't be moving. I won't be travelling. I need to take a break. I will to try to go out and meet people. I need to put my mind into something. Perhaps I will start learning a new language, although I'm not very good at this but I will give it at try.

Life goes on. I'm going to see her again. I will make sure of that. But right now I'm staying and she's leaving. When and where are we going to see each other again is uncertain. Like my future right now. I have to start all over again from zero: clothes (including winter clothes), shoes (this time I'll make sure they're waterproof), backpacks. Right now I wouldn't like to think about all those things but I cannot help it. I don't want to think about what would happen if I hitch while is -10C and I don't have the proper gear. 

Life goes on. I won't fight the tide. It's useless. I can drown if I do. I will go with the flow like I've done in the past. Worked before, I don't see a reason why it shouldn't work now.