Monday, April 1, 2013

"Life is like a bad haircut"

I came up with this title because I just got a new haircut a few days ago. If you didn't know or perhaps you already noticed that I like quotes. So here it goes, another one:

"Life is a bad haircut. At first it looks awful, then you kind of get used to it, and before you know it, it grows on you and you gotta get another haircut that maybe won't be so bad. (...) So life goes on, good haircut, bad haircut, until you finally go bad, and it don't matter no more."

My new haircut is awesome by the way! And I can also say that about my life for these past few days I spent in Budapest. Well at least most of it if you take into account that I didn't find the job I was looking for. The hostel I loved couldn't hire me at this time. I had a few offers but they weren't good enough.

The first couple of days I stayed wit Zsuzsi, the loveliest girl I have ever met I think (saying this might get me into trouble!). She replied to my emergency CS request. WOW! The way Zsuzsi and her family treated was unbelievable. They welcomed me like a family member and not like a stinky traveler. From the first minute I was treated like family. I will NEVER forget that when I went to sleep and I said the goodnight, Zsuzsi's dad said good night and gave me a hug.

Like I mentioned before I had a few interviews and Ferci, the owner of The Loft Hostel invited me to stay for a few days as his guest. Not to sound like a review but this hostel in awesome, it's small, nice, cool, cozy; it was the place I would had liked to work. It's the kind of place where you can actually meet and (if you're good enough) remember all the guests. The building in which is located is veryld in the very center of Budapest. It's located in a not so cheap area but there are still lots of options for cheap bastards like me (and you!). I went to other couple of interviews. After 37 seconds of talking to some of the staff I was convinced that even if they would offer me something (which they didn't) I wouldn't take it. The other one it was not good for me.

I wrote before than staying in hostels is not my cup of tea. I love working in them but oh well, let's not go through that nonsense again. I think that's changing anyway. I've met amazing people in the few I stayed in the past few weeks. First in Heidelberg where I met Ailen and we instantly became friends and now in Budapest, where I met Amy (we arrived at the same time) from the US, Alex and Christian (hitchhiking to Chesanau) from Germany but living in Austria and Daniela and Karel from Chile. We were the perfect group and thanks to all of them I have an awesome new haircut. In fact they cut my hair instead of going out to the ruin bars and was all worth it. I felt like a guinea pig but as Karel put it, because I wanted to. Touche!
Our small group started to disband, first Daniela and Karel (too bad we didn't meet in Krakow) left Sunday morning. That day was St. Patrick's day and a United Statian, two germans and one guatemalan went to "celebrate" it in a mexican restaurant with irish servers... in Budapest! Then Amy left to Zurich.

Monday morning came and Alex, Christian and me said goodbye and wished each other good luck for the road. They were hitchhiking East. I was going North.

See you all again, let's make it soon (every one mentioned in this post) :-)