Sunday, March 11, 2012

1,5 weeks until March 22nd, where to go?

I have 1,5 weeks until Paula comes and we start travelling South America. 1,5 weeks is not much or can be a lot. In my case, the latter.

I found a volunteer job in a small mountain village near Medellin but it wasn't quite as I expected. I'm hitting the road again, for the first time alone in a long time. I needed to be myself to regain the confidence I was lacking about travelling this continent. Why did I not feel comfortable at all? I don't know and I don't care. This time by myself will be good for me.

Even though is a short period of time I kept sending emails to hostels. Bogota again and Manizales and Pereira. These two directly South of Medellin. I have one hostel that is interested so I might drop by Pereira to see what they have to offer.

The only thing I know about Pereira besides being in the middle of the Eje Cafetalero is that it was the location of a famous miniseries (Sin Tetas No Hay Paraíso) about girls that become "prepaid" (a girl who has sex with drug traffickers in exchange for gifts, money and social status). The series is bases on the best selling book of Gustavo Bolivar.

My other option is going to Manizales which is 50 km closer than Pereira, but I already found a couch in Pereira. 

I'm excited to be on my own again. It's not that I don't like traveling with someone, it's just that I need to hitchhike on my own.

I could go to Bogota but I don't know where would I sleep in between as I won't make it in one day. I mean, there are not important town in between. If I go South I have two to choose from. I guess I will go wherever the cars/trucks take me eh?

You'll find out where I end up in my next entry I guess.

Ta Ta